Friday, February 27, 2009

Week 8 - Answer boards

I was just amazed at the wide variety and types of questions people asked from the challenging questions that make you think to the trivial. I did not know such online sites existed. Answer boards seem to be in constant demand and fill an online need. It is a great online resource for those in the community who cannot get to a library or are too shy to venture into one to ask their questions personally. It could be useful and helpful in cases of school projects where you do not have enough resources on hand. As most students have grown up with the internet this could be a great way for those in the community to use the library from home and when the library is not open. I personally like the face to face approach as you can ask for more information and the level of information required. I thought of three questions before posting a question. I also searched for the answers so I could gauge the accuracy of the information I was hoping to receive. The three questions I thought of were
1 - How are sea caves and sea arches formed?
2 - Where was the first lighthouse built in Australia?
3 - What was the name of the first fish to have a moving jaw?
I searched Yahoo 7 Answers and found the first question had already been asked by someone else along with several other coastal landform features. I ended up posting the third question as I thought the second question was to straight forward. I experienced some difficulty in posting my question as I had to fill in more online verification so my question did not appear first go. I did receive an answer to my question but I would have liked several answers so I could compare the information given. The answer given was for the first fish to have a jaw rather than the movable jaw category. It was good that they provided the bibliographical information as it can be difficult to always guage the accuracy to some answers given.

No comments: